Photography is a very wide field of activity with a large number of areas of application and an equally large number of people who evaluate its result.
There is an amateur photography where people take pictures of nature, landscapes, other people and enjoy it. And then there is professional photography, the purpose of which is to obtain guaranteed high-quality images, whether it is wedding photos for the family archive or commercial photography of real estate for the sale of premises or rent. The fundamental difference between amateur and professional photography is not in the object being filmed, but in the payment for such activities. An amateur photographer shoots without the intention of receiving money for the shoot, while a professional is motivated by paying for his work.
Who is a good photographer?
How do you know if a photographer is good or not? There are a lot of people who take pictures for themselves and receive praise from their friends and relatives. Are they good photographers? It's debatable. Why? Here we need to focus on the perception of photographs.
How are photographs evaluated?
Let's say there is some kind of portrait photograph of a couple in love from a wedding. How do you know if it is good or not? It is important to ask the question - FOR WHOM she is good.
- A person with a camera will like a photo, because he bought a new lens with beautiful background blur.
- In this case, the bride will not like the photo, because in her opinion, it will be unsuccessful for her to hang a curl over her left eye.
- The groom will look and say - yes, everything is ok, he will go.
- If you start showing the photo to the relatives of the young, they will admire the lovers and generally will not notice either the hanging curl or the blurring of the background.
- If this photo is looked at by an outside girl who is just preparing for the wedding, she may pay attention to the unsuccessful style of the dress (in her opinion) and reject this photo as unsuccessful.
- If another photographer looks at the photo, he will notice the wrong white balance and unsuccessful framing.
- When a wedding decorator sees the photo, he may be outraged by the decoration of the banquet hall behind the backs of the young, unfashionable this season.
The list can be continued for a long time, tk. all people will have their own views and preferences. Which of all these people will be right? Everyone is right. But each in its own way. No wonder, they say: there is one truth, but everyone has their own truth.
This was a wedding photography example. It depends a lot on taste.
In wedding photographs, people very often evaluate not the work of the photographer, but WHAT he took off.
In other genres, the work of the photographer still comes to the fore. For example, take subject or interior photography... The main thing here is to correctly display the object being shot and present it as advantageously as possible. It will not work just like that to take and remove an object on a white background (although many people think it is easy). It will also not work just like that to take and beautifully rent a small room in an ordinary apartment. Only photographer with great camera and experience able to cope with these tasks.
Back to the original question:
Who is considered a good photographer if photographs are judged so differently?
A good photographer is an experienced photographer... He must know who and how looks at the photos. His task is to make them so that everyone will like them. The more he shoots, the more clients he contacts, the more he understands their needs and knows how, what and whom to shoot. With experience comes an understanding of what technique is needed for certain tasks. Together, all these factors allow a professional photographer to guarantee the result to new clients with new tasks.