The question of making money from photography is very common today. This is not surprising given the widespread use of photography as a hobby. The problem is that in the modern photography market in Ukraine, the line between amateur photography as a hobby and professional photography is very strong. We can even say that this is not a line, but a barrier. There are many factors involved. Almost the first of them is the highest level of competition... I conducted a detailed research on this topic in this stuff.
Indeed, many people now want to make money on the provision of photography services. It turns out, of course, not for everyone. But you don't have to bang your head against the wall, investing in a website, advertising, building up a portfolio and facing permanent dumping in this market. There is a way out - this is making money on photography on the Internet. Namely on photo stocks.
What is a photo stock?
Photo stock literally translated from English as photo archive... In practice, these are sites that store a huge amount of photographs from various photographers. Photos on these sites can be purchased by any interested person. In fact, these are photo trading exchanges.
In order to register on the photo stock, you must pass an exam. The exam is that the photographer has to submit usually 10 of his best photographs in various genres. If the photos are moderated, you will have access to the exchange. You upload your photos there, assign them keywords (which is very important) and wait for them to be bought from you.
Pros of photo stocks:
- A huge plus of working with photo stocks is access to the international, global market. Your photos can be bought anywhere in the world.
- The cost of selling one photo there is quite low (although it is in dollars, which is very pleasing :). The bill goes to tens of cents. But the same photo can be bought from you an unlimited number of times.
- Photo stocks force the photographer to improve. Browse through the catalog of photos on shutterstock and you will understand what I mean.
- Working with photo stocks generates the so-called residual income... This means that you get money just over time, without working constantly. That is, relatively speaking, having uploaded 500 high-quality photos, you do nothing and just wait until they are gradually sold out. Time is working for you.
- Photo stocks do not depend on the local market conditions. Whatever happens in Ukraine, your sales on photo stocks will not depend on it.
- You can practice your favorite genre of photography. Do you like to shoot macro / nature / landscapes? All these photos can be sold (if they are really good).
- You do not need to create your own website and advertise, the photo stock does it for you.
After reading about the pros, it might seem like making money off your photos by selling them through online exchanges is easy. But this is not the case. As in any field, there are difficulties and pitfalls here.
Cons of photo stocks:
- Photo stocks place high demands on the quality of photographic materials. Passing an exam on high-paying photo stocks is unlikely to come out the first time. While the waiting time for the next moderation can be 1-2 months.
- You need to upload only high quality photos to photo stocks and of commercial value... This means that your photos should be themed and interesting for potential buyers. You can read more about this on the website of the photo stocks themselves.
- In order for the earnings from the sale of photographs to be substantial, you need to do it regularly and persistently.
- At first, the return on work will not be felt at all, you need to be ready for this.
- Some photo stocks require knowledge of English.
A few tips for working with photo stocks
- Working with photobanks means being methodical and stubborn. Relatively speaking, you need to set yourself standards for the number of uploaded photos. A large amount of downloaded content is essential for tangible income.
- You also need to think about what will be bought from you and what will not. I must say right away that there is no universal recipe here. We must try and look at the situation. As I wrote above, at least take pictures of beetles. Every product has its own buyer.
- You need to be prepared for a lack of profit for a long time.
In other words, making money from photography on the Internet is a matter for persistent people. This is not the case when money comes quickly and immediately. But at a certain stage, you can go to the above residual income... That is, a situation when your accumulated photo capital will already work for you. It will be enough just to follow the sales and enjoy life.
By the way, on photo stocks you can sell not only photographs, but also drawings, illustrations and videos.
How to start?
In order to try yourself in this business, you need to register on one or more exchanges. The most profitable and popular:
- Ways to make money on YouTube channel
- From office to photographers - experience and mistakes
- Earnings on referral links - WHAT and HOW?
Useful video «how to shoot food for drains?«: